Thursday, May 17, 2012

The Boston Red Sox - Streaks, Slander, and Sports Gods

Will Rhymes is taken off the field after he collapsed during a game against the Boston Red Sox at Tropicana Field on May 16, 2012. (Photo by J. Meric/Getty Images)
Thoughts and prayers are with Will Rhymes, who collapsed during last night's game.  Be well. (Photo credit; CBS)
 
I am rather superstitious when it comes to sports;
Even without evidence that holds up in the courts,
I believe that sports gods lurk around the fields of play
Taking note of everything a Faithful fan might say.

Therefore, I've not said one word, at all, throughout the week
Out of fear that I would break the Red Sox' winning streak;
But, last night against the Rays - the score at 2 to 1
(Still without a peep from me) that lovely stretch was done.

Thank you for the ride sports gods; I like the winning kind...
Losing streaks cause local sports-talk guys to lose their mind.
They get nasty to their callers...  Maybe it's their jobs.
Baseball's just a game we play; they needn't be such snobs.

If you don't agree with them, they think you're pretty dumb.
(Tell them that you love them first; they may throw you a crumb.)
Wish they'd give the Sox a break because, from what I hear,
You should be encouraging when there are sports gods near.

No comments:

Post a Comment