Tuesday, August 12, 2014

In Memoriam... Robin Williams

Robin Williams (July 21, 1951 – August 11, 2014)

"Robin Williams killed himself today," my youngest said.
I was sure that I'd misheard him.  Robin Williams? Dead?
Those words shouldn't go together; he's just 63...
Not someone so full of life.  Please, no! It couldn't be.

He could make me laugh until my eyes were streaming tears.
Robin Williams was a comic genius.  That's a fact.
With Good Morning, Vietnam he proved that he could act.

After Good Will Hunting, with an Oscar to his name,
Like some genie granted him a wish for wealth and fame,
I'd have thought the man was happy.  Sadly, he was not.
Now old clips of Robin are the only things we've got.

(With apologies to Walt Whitman)

O Captain! My Captain! Our jester's no more...
Journeyed beyond to a far distant shore.
May the depression he suffered from cease.
No matter What Dreams May Come, grant him peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment