Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Holding My Nose for Trump

Image result for president elect trump memes

 I am what the media's been calling "the elites:"
Living in my ivory tower on suburban streets,
College-educated, Massachusetts Democrat,
Who - though knowing Trump just won - is still processing that.

Watching as the demonstrators protest through the streets,
Rightly worried over Donald Trump's outrageous Tweets.
Hearing chants of "White Power" as racist bigots gloat, 
Knowing about half of those protesters didn't vote.

When we lose elections we must live with the result
(Unless you're prepared to join some anarchistic cult.)
Seeing electoral maps of red with specks of blue
Tells me that it's only fair to see what Trump will do.

I may be upset but I'm not arrogant enough
To ignore the 60 million for whom times are tough. 
I don't have to like it - and, believe me, I do not -
But that doesn't change the fact that Trump has earned his shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment